North Korea Fires 10 Missiles, Rejects Trump’s Overture Despite Scaled-Back Drills
North Korea launched a barrage of roughly 10 short-range ballistic missiles Thursday, August 20, a day after the regime publicly dismissed President Trump’s attempt to revive diplomacy — an overture that had included Trump’s decision to cut the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises with South Korea in half.
What Happened Thursday
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launches happened from North Korea’s capital region around 5 p.m. local time, with the missiles flying roughly 185 miles (300 kilometers) each toward North Korea’s eastern waters, according to the Associated Press. Japan’s coast guard separately said a suspected North Korean missile appeared to have fallen outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone, according to public broadcaster NHK, cited by The Daily News Online.
South Korea’s military said it had bolstered its surveillance posture and was closely coordinating information on the launches with the U.S. and Japan. South Korea’s presidential national security council issued a statement urging North Korea to halt ballistic missile launches, according to the Associated Press.
Why This Followed Trump’s Reduced Drills
The missile launches came directly on the heels of the resolution to a story I covered earlier this week: Trump’s order to scale back the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises. Seoul and Washington announced Wednesday, August 19, that they would cut the ongoing drills in half, ending the exercises that Friday instead of running their originally scheduled full course, according to the Korea Herald. Trump had directed the reduction earlier in the week, saying the drills sent an “inappropriate and hostile” message to Pyongyang.
Kim Yo Jong’s Rejection
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s influential sister, Kim Yo Jong, dismissed Trump’s overture in a statement issued Wednesday, before Thursday’s missile launches. “The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won’t change even though their duration and size were reduced,” she said, according to the Associated Press. “If the U.S. calculates that it can propagate its recent measure as the one of so-called good faith, they will not get the desired answer.”
Kim Yo Jong also directly disputed a specific claim Trump had made. She denied Trump’s assertion that Kim Jong Un had responded to his request for a conversation, telling state media, according to Forbes, that she is “unaware” of any recent talks between the two leaders.
Notably, Kim Yo Jong’s statement stopped short of North Korea’s more typical fiery rhetoric. She said personal relations between her brother and Trump remain “still excellent” — a distinction analysts interpreted as a signal that Pyongyang wants Trump to offer bigger concessions before returning to formal talks, rather than a complete rejection of engagement going forward, according to the Associated Press.
Trump’s Response and Nuclear Claims
Asked by reporters Wednesday whether he would meet with Kim Jong Un this year, Trump said, “Yeah, I will be.” In the same White House press availability, Trump claimed North Korea possesses “57 very powerful” nuclear weapons — a specific figure he cited publicly for the first time regarding the North’s nuclear stockpile, according to the Korea Herald.
That figure runs notably higher than independent estimates. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute estimates North Korea has around 60 nuclear warheads and enough fissile material to produce at least 30 more, according to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser — a broadly similar overall figure to Trump’s claim, though SIPRI’s estimate reflects total warhead capacity rather than a confirmed operational stockpile specifically. South Korean President Lee Jae Myung separately said in January that North Korea has been producing nuclear material at a pace that could allow it to add up to 20 weapons a year, a rate that would eventually put its stockpile on par with France’s in size, according to the same report.
FAQ
How many missiles did North Korea fire? Approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles, launched from North Korea’s capital region and flying roughly 185 miles toward its eastern waters.
Why did this happen right after Trump reduced the joint military drills? Kim Yo Jong made clear that scaling back the exercises’ duration didn’t change what North Korea sees as their fundamentally provocative nature, suggesting the missile launches were at least partly a response to what Pyongyang viewed as an insufficient gesture.
Did Kim Jong Un actually respond to Trump’s outreach? Kim Yo Jong denied it. She said she was “unaware” of any recent talks between Trump and her brother, directly contradicting Trump’s earlier claim that he’d received a response.
Will Trump still meet with Kim Jong Un this year? Trump said “Yeah, I will be” when asked by reporters, though North Korea’s response suggests any such meeting would likely require further concessions from Washington first.
How many nuclear weapons does North Korea have? Trump claimed 57. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute estimates roughly 60 warheads with fissile material for at least 30 more.
Conclusion
Thursday’s missile launches deliver a clear answer to the question left open by Trump’s decision to scale back the Korea drills: North Korea isn’t ready to treat a reduced exercise schedule as a meaningful concession. With Kim Yo Jong’s statement leaving the door only narrowly open — citing continued “excellent” personal relations between the two leaders while still rejecting the specific gesture offered — the path toward any actual Trump-Kim meeting this year appears to hinge on Washington offering more than a shortened drill calendar.
Sources: Associated Press (via Washington Post, Spectrum News, WPRI, FOX 5 San Diego), Forbes, The Korea Herald, The Daily News Online, The Hill, Honolulu Star-Advertiser (reporting dated August 19-20, 2026).
